The Silent Killer – Everything You Need to Know about Carbon Monoxide

There’s a reason carbon monoxide (also known as CO gas) is called the “silent killer.” This natural gas kills at least 430 people in the U.S. every year and sends nearly 50,000 more to the emergency room. The reason carbon monoxide is so deadly is because it is and odorless, colorless gas. Without a detector, you wouldn’t know it could be in your home until it’s too late. Your home should be a safe place, that’s why we’re sharing Everything you need to know about carbon monoxide.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Simply put, carbon monoxide is a gas. An odorless, colorless gas created by charcoal, wood, and gas fires in spaces with little to no air movement. For example, a fire or grill outside will not pose as much a risk because oxygen is usually able to flow freely. A carbon monoxide leak in a kitchen can be fatal if not quickly taken care of. Fumes and gasses from fire naturally remove oxygen from the atmosphere and replace it with carbon monoxide. In your home, there are things meant to safeguard your family from CO gas, unfortunately if not regularly maintained, those safety measures can fail.

Keep Your Home Safe from Carbon Monoxide

When it comes to any guide or discussion surrounding carbon monoxide, the most important part of it will be about safety. The most important thing you can do to stay safe is to regularly schedule furnace tune-ups. During a tune-up, our expertly trained HVAC technicians inspect every part of your furnace for function and safety. If anything is not working properly, they will bring it to your attention. Here are some basic precautions to help make sure your home, and family, are safe:
  • Install a carbon monoxide detector and make sure to replace the batteries every six months. Also, be sure to ask your HVAC tech where to place the detector. Hang it too high and you won’t know about a CO leak until it’s too late.
  • If you experience a power outage, do not use any gas-powered appliances to heat your home. This includes your stove, range, and oven.
  • Do not burn charcoal inside
  • Make sure all generators are outside, never run one in your home or garage.
  • Never leave a car running in a garage connected to your home, even if the garage door is open.

What Are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are all over the place. In some cases, they can be mild, if symptoms are severe, people can be left with lifelong effects. Mild symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea and Vomiting
  • Fatigue
  • Loss of breath
  • Chest pain
Carbon monoxide poisoning can have effects on a person’s mood, mind, and personality. Here are some of the mental and emotional symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:
  • Extreme mood swings
  • Sudden clumsiness
  • Confusion and flawed judgement
  • Personality changes
  • Vision problems
If you suspect a CO gas leak in your home, or if you believe someone is experiencing these symptoms because of carbon monoxide poisoning, do not wait to call emergency services. Treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning is readily available, the patient just needs to get to the doctor on time.

Want to Protect Your Home from Carbon Monoxide? Call Moore Home Services

We want your home to be the safest place possible. If you haven’t scheduled service for the upcoming season, call the number at the top of the screen or click here to schedule an appointment online. Moore Home Services is a Diamond Certified company serving Santa Rosa, Sonoma County, and parts of the North Bay.